The documentation centre of the Canarian Museum dates from 1879, when the Scientific Society that lay at the origin of the Museum was founded. What started off as a library to support the archeological or historical work undertaken by Museum members soon expanded and diversified, mostly through acquisition, exchange or donations, giving rise to a Periodicals Library and an Archive, which increased the range of the Museum’s documentary collection both quantitatively and qualitatively.
The Documentation Centre –consisting of the Library, Periodicals Library and Archive– is specialized in the Canary Islands, the collections being made up of works by Canarian authors, about the archipelago or published on the islands.
All the services of consultation, reference and reproduction of material are managed by the Documentation Centre, whether requested on site or by mail, email -via this website- or by telephone.
The documents that form part of the Museum’s collections and that are open to public access can be consulted in the Reading Room. Likewise, the Museum has a Research Room equipped with computers for the use of authorized researchers, for either text processing or consulting digitized documentation.